Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ypsilanti Township considers requiring pit bull owners to have .

Angela, Firstly, I do not accord with BSL and am an urge for pits.I know in Colorado and Denver has ignorantly placed a complete ban on pits.However, I think all pets should be sterilized, and the amount of unsterilized pitbulls is growing by a vast amount, especially in SE Michigan.One of the chief problems with pitbulls is they are more susceptible to parvo than other dogs.

efore I moved, I volunteered at a low-cost vaccine clinic in Pontiac, which is experiencing an eruption in parvo.Each Saturday, pitbulls were by far the most represented breed.There would be young kids bringing in a litter, which they plotted to sell, but did not let the money to wish for all of the puppies until then.Luckily we were able to vaccinate many dogs, but probably several hundred remained un-vaccinated.Uncontrolled breeding leads to more un-vaccinated dogs and more disease, which endangers all other dogs in the community.

I too would see the line from so many men that they would decline to alter their male dog.Most of the times my rebuttals were in vain, but I remember people want to acknowledge the problems that intact males present.The increased testosterone can take to more untamed aggression and former medical conditions may result (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2 2112&aid=911)

I also commuted from Royal Oak to Detroit for work every day and at least every month saw a dead, dying, or stray pitbull on I-75.Often I would cease at MHS to study it, but I believe this just illustrates how big the job of pitbull abandonment and carelessness is.

I'm not certain about your statistics on total # of pits in the US.One-third to 40% seems ridiculously high.The connection below I found puts the portion around 1% (likely too conservative).Even with their increasing popularity, I can't imagine it's higher than 5 (http://www.goodnewsforpets.com/petworld/archive/pitbulls.htm).

Also, Petsmart does not sell dogs, unless there is an adoption event being run by community organizations.The big pet supply stores wish Petco and Pet Supplies Plus are all like that.The charity grants by those companies allow many low-cost vaccine and/or spay/neuter clinics to run.

Btw, Mya looks adorable.

Report this commentary to staff

No comments:

Post a Comment