Thursday, August 25, 2011

Victim recovers from severe pit bull attack in Schenectady - News 10 .

BY TARYN FITSIK

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. - 58-year-old Shirleen Lucas was barely released from the hospital Wednesday evening after having close to 200 stiches.

Her injuries extend to her face, ears, arms and legs. Lucas says she is just lucky to be alive.

"I wasn't going to go out like that," she says. "It simply wasn't my clock to go, I simply had to campaign for my life.

Lucas was attacked by three pitbull dogs on Hulett Street in Schenectady early Monday morning, just one block from her home.

Part of her ears are missing, and her hair is ripped out of her head.

"I ran into a yard, and before I could get to the door, they were on me and knocked me down," says Lucas.

Amelia Falcon lives right next door to where the attack happened and called 911, knowing she couldn't help Lucas herself.

"It's a bright thing," says Falcoln. "I really saw these dogs dragging her and fight her."

Police say the proprietor of the pitbulls told them someone had opened the gate to the yard, and the dogs got out.

Falcon believes the dogs were being neglected.

Some pitbull owners News 10's Taryn Fitsik spoke with say the job is not the breed, but the environment a dog lives in, others disagree.

"They're very loyal," says Jasmine Valentin. "I look like a lot of mass get the faulty opinion of pitbulls, thinking that they're mean and horrible. They're genuinely not, they're really sweet."

"My personal view is it wasn't but one pitbull that snapped," adds Jennifer Hendricks. "Unfortunately, it was three, and when they pack together, unfortunately there's no knowing what's going to happen."

As Lucas rests for the start time at home since the attack, she says she is but very thankful.

"Somehow I knew I was passing to be alright," she says. "I kept saying to myself, I'm not going out like this."

Two of 3 dogs were euthanized, the third dog is under rabies observation for ten years and will likewise be put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment