Monday, November 15, 2010

On the Lead with Discount Tire - Mammoth AZ - Kawasaki Teryx Forum

PitBull Growler Tire Test
I had the chance to examine the AMERICAN MADE PitBull Growler XOR (6 ply rated) on one of the roughest trails in the beautiful Sonoran Southwest Deserts of Southern Arizona for a weekend outing.For the trial we used a 2010 Kawasaki Teryx 750 side by side. The start time I looked at the PitBull tires I was really impressed. The lugs are HUGE. They are Flexible but FIRM.

These things look like they could rise up a wall. The sidewall is very unique as good with wording that reads HONOR GUTS & GLORY and Extreme Off-Road Radial.These tires look like monsters!One thing to keep in judgment for this trial is that the tires we used are taller than stock, as PitBull tires come ininch taller sizes.On our test unit we had 25.5x8x12 on the presence and 25.5x10x12 for the rear.

We decided on an overnight camp trip from Mammoth AZ to Turkey Creek and back. Since I had the just side by side I was elected to take the most gear. I was ok with that as we kept piling it high in the bed of the Teryx.I had my flat pack of gas along with gas for the Joyner, so a number of 10 gallons of gas, an ice chest full of nutrient and drinks, a grill, a pair of tents, a few sleeping bags, my tool bag, a few backpacks and other misc stuff.Needless to say, I was loaded.I could not see over my shoulder and see what was behind me. This track is noted for a hill climb called "CARPET HILL."It is aboutof a mile long, VERY STEEP at times with EXTREMELY LOOSE rocks and large boulders. This mound is NO JOKE.You want to be on your "A" halt as it can make you if one is not paid attention. The hill got its name back in the early 1930s when a man built a cabin way back in the mountains.I met his grandson on one of my trips there and he said his Grandfather used to get his car up this hill.At times it would get snow on it and the sole way he would get traction was to put carpet in some areas of the hill.You can even see remnants of the carpet on the hill today.
We had 2 other 4x4 quads.A modified Joyner Trooper with a Polaris 500 motor and a modified desert race ready sport quad. Traveling on the principal roads the PitBull tires road SMOOTH and STRAIGHT. As we approached Carpet Hill the dog was becoming rockier.We stopped at the top to make certain everyone got a feeling at what was coming up. This was where the fun began. The foremost part of the mound is rather steep with a large rut in the centre of the trail, plus you had to form a 90 degree turn after almost 50 yards to jump into the loose rocky section. The Teryx with the Pit Bull Growlers on CRAWLED Down the face of the hill like it was a Sunday drive. There we NO SLIPPING what so always as we rolled down the hill. This was where Bill on his sport quad started to get a worried look on his look as he realised he would take to get back up this hill. I had sent him photos of a prior trip so he knew what he was getting into. Going downhill is not normally a problem for most tires, the actual test is going up when you need traction. (Little did we acknowledge we were near to see this out soon)We all made it kill the mound with no issues but as shortly as we started to climb up the next loose hill, Bill on his sport quad lost his master link on his chain. This is not a full sign. After looking for the contact for awhile and trying a trail fix, we decided the only way to get him out was for me to drag him up carpet hill with the Teryx. I was Skeptical to say the least. Especially with it FULLY LOADED.
We decided to render it a go with Jeff as my wingman in the face by side.Jeff is an extremely experienced rock crawler quad and position by side rider)We turned around got Bill hooked up with the tow rope and headed up the hill.I stopped after the 1st 100 yards to hold on Bill.He said he could not think how the Pit Bull tires HAD NOT Yet SLIPPED at all. I told himnot to get too excited as we were even on the heavy pack.These tires have excellent grasp on hard pack. As we took off again we hit the Very LOOSE, STEEP, BOULDER STREWN hill.The PitBulls DUG in throwing rocks everywhere until I tired to force the Teryx between too large boulders. I was stopped in my tracks as I dug 4 large holes.I backed up a pair of multiplication and tested to get it up the open area but I kept getting hung up on the big boulder on my left.It would spin me 90 degrees to the odd and get to stay so I did not cast down the hill.
We unhooked and I was capable to get buy the boulders easily. Then we hooked up a longer tow strap.I told Bill to attend on as when we got going I was not stopping until we got to the top. I nailed the gas and off we went.The PitBulls were Digging and CLAWING their way up the hill. It was astonishing how much filth and rocks the Teryx was throwing as we kept up the climb. The last hard right turn I thought we were passing over as we hit an off camber rut in the heart of the number along with some miss placed boulders.We were in the air heading for our side but I kept the gas pedal pinned and when the tires hit the background they dug in PULLED US Through and up the lowest piece of the hill. I whole heartily do not believe I could have pulled him up this nasty hill on the stock tires.I simply would not have gotten the traction. When we stopped at the top Bill got off his quad shaking but we made it. I had another friend try to commit another quad up this same hill without any luck.He ended up towing him all the way to Klondike and having to get his quad back to the staging area then go about with the drone to blame him up. At this point Don (Bills friend) said he would tow his friend back to the truck as they rode together and see us on another ride. We were second to the easy roads about 5 miles from the truck. Jeff drove the Teryx back down the mound and was amazed how easily the Teryx carved through the corners on the way down the hill.
We met back up with Dion and my Grandson Tyler that were waiting in the shade. We headed off over one mountain after another through loose, rough rocky terrain. The final division of the trail has dozens of rock ledge drop offs.They are leaving to be fun going back up. We made it to our camp site on Turkey Creek.This field is heavily wooded and it is chill with water in the creek. We camped within walking distance of old cliff dwelling. Tyler and I walked over to it after setting up the tents. There is a mark placed near the home that says it was reinforced by Indian farmers in 1350 AD. It's completely intact.
The following morning after an awesome breakfast Jeff made, we loaded up to point out. I thinking I would get less gear, but it seemed like the load grew. Oh well it is tight and we are ready to roll. The 1st piece of the dog is beautiful with the broad canopy of trees and the creek, but it is short lived as we go to rise out the train having to hook up and ended one rock ledge after another.Some of the ledges reminded me of Moab Utah where you want to do the Moab bump. The PitBull tires were Great on the rocks.At times you could see the lugs start to slip and GRAB Hold of the rocks. There was one point that had jagged rocks that we had to raise over.I put the Teryx in low and locked in the front diff. The tires clawed their way to the top without spinning at all.INCREDIBLE!!!
After passing up one mountain after another we were backward to Carpet Hill. A little break later we were off up the hill. WOW! What a difference climbing out of this nasty steep, loose hill without having to attract a quad up behind me.With the PitBull Growlers digging in I had ZERO TROUBLE going up the mountain. I was capable to creep over boulders and index up the loose rocky terrain with ease.
The final section of the route back is an easy road where you could pick up the upper a bit.The PitBulls tracked around the hairpin turns easily. These give to be the Best ALL AROUND TIRES I have determined on in super tough terrain. There are 3 different types of PitBull Tire Models for your Space or UTV which are usable in 12" and 14" sizes.They are as follows:PitBull - Growler(6 ply rated) PitBull - Growler UBER XOR(8 ply rated) PitBull - Rocker (8 ply rated) For more elaborate info on PitBull Tires, check out the links below:PitBull Tires - Discount Tire Directwww.pitbulltires.comWe appreciate all your stand here on the boards. -Don McNeilly

No comments:

Post a Comment