Monday, December 6, 2010

VERY sad news. - The Preppy Pit Bull

So there has been a few things going on at house that I haven't told you guys or blogged about, mostly because it is so grievous that I can't even talking around it without crying.
When we brought Little Pit home, Lil' Pup wasn't thrilled, but he was seemingly ok with it. We did everything they distinguish you to do, introduced him to the nursery, let him sniff all of her clothes and bedding and all that stuff.

We brought the receiving blanket home for him to sniff once she was natural and did our best to set him for what was coming.

Unfortunately, Lil' Pup is simply not a fan of hers. Especially now that she is crawling, he actually can't abide her and growls at her whenever she gets about him and has snapped at her a few times, once coming very close. Since she will be toddling soon, and probably falling over a lot while trying to flesh out how better to walk, we are only really concerned about any future interaction. He doesn't respond well when he's startled, and with a falling infant, we truly think that this could get very serious for her very soon.
We of course did our best over the past 7 months to get them acquainted and tested to get Lil' Pup to see that she was partly of the house and that he should treat her care he treated us.However, he has not gotten any better and now that Little Pit is truly start to move, we find that it is in her best interest, and our best interest being her safety, that Lil' Pup goes back to the rescue.
I can't say you how difficult it was to fix this decision. There have been tears. LOTS of weeping over this decision, but we simply can't knowingly put our daughter in danger with an unpredictable dog.
You all know how I look about rescue dogs, and how glad I was to deliver him knowing how difficult it was for him at the kennel. You love that my motto is that there are no bad dogs and only bad owners.
I really do not find that he is a bad dog, I only remember that he actually needs to be a true ONLY dog and ONLY child, and that is not a place that we can put him in. If only we got him as a puppy and had any ascendancy of his spirit before we launch him.
I desire you all don't hate me or Mr. Pit, we actually worked so toilsome and for the preceding few weeks have been exhausting all the resources we can to try to aid him and our situation, but what most trainers tell us, is, that if it were their daughter, and he was their dog, they wouldn't hesitate to take him from the home for her safety. Also, we have worked very hard over the past 3 years to have him the spirit he deserved and actually worked on his dog aggression as well. We make spent countless hours and thousands of dollars on trainers and methods and they have simply not had the overall impression that we have wanted them to.
It really breaks my affection to believe that we get to make him back, but it would give my heart more if he always hurt Little Pit and then we'd get to relocate him afterwards that anyway, and at the rate he is going, an accident is loss to occur sometime soon.
I acknowledge that some of you may be thought that we can just tell them for the day, but that is no way for him or us to live. There is no place in having a dog if we can't interact with him, and to engage him upstairs or in his crate for the day isn't just for him either. He deserves a family, just one without kids that creep or toddle after him like Little Pit does.
I don't know just when we will pay him back, we made the last decision tonight after talking to yet another professional dog trainer that said sometimes dogs and kids just can't mix no matter how strong you try, and that it is but too severe to chance it.
What I also need to stress, is that I don't need this place to deter anyone from ever rescuing an animal in the future.I don't believe that we did the wrong thing by rescuing him, I am happy that we could leave him a loving family for as farsighted as we did and I am so bright that he will get rescued by another class that is best suited to the lifestyle that he needs sometime soon.
I really think that rescuing animals is the proper thing to do, and that there are GREAT dogs that need homes. Little Pup is a Large dog, he just isn't kid friendly and a lot of pure bred dogs aren't kid friendly either. I don't believe this has ANYTHING to do with him being part Pit bull either. Pit bulls are KNOWN for being big with kids, I suppose this has lots more to do with his puppyhood which unfortunately neither us nor the rescue where we got him has any clue about. He was reclaimed from another rescue, so his first few days of living are all undocumented. We think he may have been abused as a puppy but we actually have no idea.
When we got him we didn't believe he could harm a fly, but with his conduct towards Little Pit bordering on very dangerous, we were sadly proven wrong. He reacts so badly whenever she gets anywhere about him, if he were a reliable older sibling it would be called severe jealousy and we could combat it, but we can't look to take the behavior out of him no matter how heavily we try.
Anyways, so later the highs of this past weekend, here is our biggest low of this entire year.
I will cry every time I pass by where his water and food bowls were, as good as his bed and all his toys. I am crying as I type this because I look like a gross and complete failure as a dog-mom. I find that I have failed him in the most basic of senses, as I was alleged to deliver him from a biography in the doghouse and now all I am doing is giving him back. I recognise it is for the best, and that we Get to put Little Pit first, she is our form and line and has to be protected, that is really my job as a mother. I only like I didn't get to protect one thing I love from another.
Please please please no nasty comments. I don't suppose I could carry it. Please consider me that we did everything we could and that this conclusion is the hardest one we've made in our entire marriage.
Thanks, Mrs. Pit

No comments:

Post a Comment