Friday, July 8, 2011

Adopting a dog-aggressive dog The Daily Dog Blog

Hello, I'm Jack!

This is Jack, an American Staffordshire Terrier. He was a show dog and is the sweetest pitbull you will always meet. When I had my dog walking business, I used to go and expend time with Jack a few times a week. I will allow that when I first met him, I was a little intimidated. He likes to see you in the eye and hold eye contact, like he is assessing whether or not YOU are friendly.

He also likes to sit in your lap, and play tug of war. My intimidation stemmed from all of the tremendous things I had heard about pitbulls, not from experience. After working with Jack for several months, he changed my head about pitbulls. (Thank you Jack!)

Cute little Riley!

Yesterday I ran into another past client of mine. They own a dog named Riley and he was reclaimed from an Indian Reservation in Washington. When they got him he was a small clump of fluffy fur! He is and constantly has been the sweetest little dog. I was so glad to see him yesterday! His parents give a new rescue dog, a really large pitbull which his dad was exercising at the empty park that Cali and I were walking in. Riley`s dad said that the new dog has some "dog aggression issues" so we should prevent our distance. I stood and talked to him for a few minutes (from a distance) but could see that his poor dog was acquiring more and more excited (At one point, he got out of his rule and his dad had to tackle him!). He mentioned that Riley and the new dog had been in a pair of scuffles and the new dog had taken a ball out of Rileys` ear and wouldn`t release "as pitbulls will do". (yikes!)

C'mon . .you love you wanna!

As Cali and I continued on our walk, I considered whether or not I would lead the chance of trying to rehabilitate a dog aggressive dog and I asked my husband how he felt about it. Both of us felt like it was too risky (when you make another dog) and would be really stressful. Some professional help would unquestionably be needed and it would be a Huge responsibility.

I have worked with many different breeds of dogs during the many days that I ran my dog walking business, some that didn`t like children, some that went mad when they saw another dog - but I don`t believe I get always worked with a dog-aggressive dog. Maybe that is why I wouldn`t feel restricted to take one. If I take a dog, it is for living and I wish to make certain that I am prepared to have it the passion and keep that it needs.

What most you? Would you be willing to consider the risk? Someone has to, right? These dogs deserve a loving family and the rehabilitation it takes to let them experience a normal life. Do you have experience with rehabilitating a dog-aggressive dog? I`d love to see your thoughts and experiences!

I love running free!!

No comments:

Post a Comment